Overload Art Competition
Create a villainous chara who is actually a charismatic hero/heroine!
You will find this year’s entries displayed near the ticketing area.
Winners announced on stage at 3PM.
Create a stylish main character to feature in an isekai* manga or game, initially labeled as a villain upon arrival in another world, but ultimately revealed as a hero. Feel free to extend your imagination towards designing unique weaponry for them.
*isekai stories revolve around a displaced person or people, who are transported to and have to survive in another world.
How to Participate?
Design an original villainous character and submit your creation to us on the template provided. This template is A3 size, measuring 3508 x 4961 pixels (in png or psd file format). Using the template allows us to standardise all qualified entries for display at Overload.
Your submission must include:
- Full-color version showing front and back of your character.
- Two facial expressions.
- Your choice highlighting elements such as jewelry/accessories/weapon.
Upload your completed illustration in png file format with a resolution of 300dpi using the ‘Artwork Upload’ feature in the online entry form before the deadline. For those preferring to work with traditional media, kindly print the template in color. After completion, scan it at 300dpi resolution and upload the scanned file.
All eligible entries will be showcased at the Overload Convention.
Example of Template in Use
The Overload Graphic Design team came up with an example of a villainous character template layout.
These prizes are provided by the Overload Committee and Wacom Australia and will be awarded on the Overload Stage. Shed 10, Queens Wharf, Auckland. Time to be advised.
Judge/s: Overload Graphic Design team
Award Ceremony: At the Overload Stage. Time to be advised.
For any queries or concerns related to the competition, please feel free to email us at: [email protected]
Art Competition Entry Rules
- There are no restrictions on your creativity or style; you may present whatever you can imagine relating to the theme. Your submission must include a full-color version showing front and back of your character, two facial expressions and inset illustrations of your choice highlighting elements such as jewelry/accessories/weapon. You are also free to insert a description of your character.
- Your artwork must be created specifically for this competition. Only original illustrations will be accepted. Any submission of AI-generated, modified, or touch-up artworks will result in disqualification. Additionally, only one entry may be submitted per person. Artists must be based in New Zealand; entries from outside New Zealand will not be accepted.
- Works infringing on Copyright and Trademark laws will not be accepted. Your illustration can be created in digital and/or traditional media, but we will only accept submissions as digital image files. If your work is non-digital, please provide us with a high-quality scan.
- Please ensure that your work is submitted with the following specifications: A3 size / 3508 x 4961 pixels, 300 dpi resolution, and submitted on one of the supplied templates. Use the RGB Color Mode. File types PNG or flattened PSD will be accepted.
- All qualified competition entries will be on display to the public and therefore must adhere to legal standards of decency. By submitting your artwork, you grant Overload the right to use it for promotional and marketing activities for both Overload and our sponsor, Epson NZ. You retain copyright of your illustration.
- In submitting your illustration, you agree to abide by these rules. If you are found to be in breach of these rules, any winning title will be revoked, and prizes shall have to be returned. The judge’s decision is final, and no correspondence shall be entered
Entry Deadline: 11:59pm, Sunday 24 March 2024